by David Seren
Mistral 7: complete new concept - innovative design
The performance intermediate MISTRAL 7 has successfully passed the EN B certification process in size M (takeoff weight 85-105 kg). The other sizes will follow soon.
SWING presents with the MISTRAL 7 a complete new concept. The very stable canopy combines impressive glide performance with pleasant handling, maximum rate of climb and very high passive safety. This was achieved through reduced aspect ratio to a moderate 5.5 and a new form of the canopy. Significant are the reduction of lines and the considerably reduced drag of the system. The MISTRAL 7 offers EN C performance with EN B safety. The wing is aimed at the ambitious XC pilot of the standard class, but also talented pilots from the low-end EN-B range.
"With the MISTRAL 7 we set new standards in the EN B class" Günther Wörl, Managing Director of SWING is sure. "After very intensive development and numerous comparison flights, SWING is proud to launch one the best performing and most balanced wings of this class to the market."
Design & technical highlights
- streamlined and optimized leading edge ("sharknose" concept)
- only 2 lines per side and level
- 3 Line levels (A,B,C)
- only 272 m of total line length (incl. brake) in size M
- innovative arrangement of the H-Straps and diagonal ribs
- novel flat projection with geometrically converted wash-out
- optimized tension on the trailing edge, combined with a reefing brake
- 3D-shaping and Miniribs optimized material mix (canopy/lines)
Properties of the Mistral 7
- maximum glide performance with very flat polar curve
- very efficient and smooth accelerator, huge speed increase
- nice handling and agility, balanced pitch stability, calm and comfortable in flight
- manageable, well controllable spiral behavior
- very high stability of the canopy over the entire range speed range realized through an automatic control of the angle of attack and optimized leading edge
- durability and light weight (only 5.5 kg in size M)